Sit comfortably, with back straight and close your eyes.
Breathe gently into your heart.
Let a problem come to mind. Reflect on a situation, person, or challenge that is causing you pain or suffering.
- Perspective: See yourself and your struggle as if you were watching a movie about your life…. Imagine seeing yourself from a God or Buddha’s eye view…. Now think about this problem from a perspective ten years into the future. Recognize that your difficulty will pass.
- Humility: Visualize yourself as one of seven billion people on the planet and your problem as part of the pain and suffering that so many others experience. Recognize how deeply we are connected with one another. Let yourself feel love and appreciation for all those who have contributed to who you are and who have supported you.
- Humor: Smile and try to find humor in your situation and your struggle. An ability to lighten up and laugh helps us to accept life as it is, broken and imperfect, even as we aspire to contribute to a better world.
- Acceptance: Accept the reality of your suffering and your human limitations, Acknowledge that you cannot know all the factors that have led to this challenging moment. Accept that what has happened has already occurred, and that there is nothing you can do to change the past.
- Forgiveness: Place a hand on your heart and forgive yourself for any part you may have played in creating this problem or challenging situation. Recognize that you are a fallible human being, and that you will inevitably fall short of your aspirations. You will hurt and be hurt by others. Be aware of the shared humanity of any others involved in the situation and, if you feel ready, forgive them for their human limitations.
- Gratitude: Think of three people or things that you are grateful for in your life right now. Can you find any way that your problem is contributing to your growth and maturity? Are people or things supporting you with your difficulties?
- Compassion: Sense compassion for yourself and for how you are struggling. Remember that it takes time to grow and learn. Suffering and frustration are unavoidable. They are part of the fabric of life. The goal is to use them in positive ways. Feel the light of loving kindness shining from your heart and spreading throughout your body. Now send compassion to your loved ones, to anyone you are struggling with, and outward to all who need love and compassion.
- Generosity: Feel the natural generosity that is in your heart. Imagine radiating your generosity of spirit to all around you. Visualize how you can share your gifts…. Imagine how you can transform your problem into an opportunity to be of service to others…. Remember that when we give joy to others, we experience true joy ourselves.